donderdag 9 juli 2009

Back in Kangerlussuaq

It is nine in the morning after an early start to fly back to Kangerlussuaq. Last days I have not given more updates on the work and live at Summit also since it has been quite stormy and because the system that I was supposed to use for additional measurements needs to be fixed. Hopefully, I can get some of the spare parts we need here in the warehouse in Kangerlussuaq. Today I flew in in my private jet; it was the Hercules but because of the high temperatures, making the snow at Summit really heavy they needed the JATO system to take off. These are kind of rockets that give the airplane the extra push to take off at this high altitude with the heavy conditions (so the C-130 being a jet for a short moment). I was also the only passenger going out and so could sit at the flight deck with the pilots having a great view especially flying in to Kanger passing by the mountain ridges quite close. By the way, it was also an expensive flight; they told me that using this JATO system costs about 180.000$! Consequently, they hardly use it and the crew was really happy that they took off without any problems, Maybe later some more updates on the data interpretation of this campaign Laurens

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten